The following information is from a website endorsed by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education called Netsmartz
This site contains tips that we in the Mehlville School District would
like to highlight so parents can stay informed about cyber safety. The
information here is a small sample of the straight-forward tips that are
available at Netsmartz
. We have also included a link to the site
and will continue to highlight cyber safety topics on Netsmartz
throughout the rest of the school year.
Learning the basics of Internet safety
use a variety of online services, and each of these services can have
different safety concerns. However, there are some basic tips which you
can employ no matter how your children use the Internet.
- Keep the computer in a high-traffic area of your home.
- Establish limits for which online sites children may visit and for how long.
- Remember that Internet technology can be mobile, and make sure to monitor cell phones, gaming devices, and laptops.
- Surf the Internet with your children and let them show you what they like to do online.
who is connecting with your children online and set rules for social
networking, instant messaging, e-mailing, online gaming, and using
- Continually dialogue with your children about online safety
Here is the link to Netsmartz: